Skilled independent visa- subclass 189

With Skilled independent visa- subclass 189 or permanent resident work visa, A person can work and live in Australia. A Subclass 189 visa may be available to skilled foreign workers who work in occupations on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List. The applicant must pass a skills exam and be sponsored by a company or a family member, or be nominated by a state or territory government.

New Zealand citizens now have another option for obtaining permanent residency.

This new path formed a new stream inside the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa on July 1, 2017, making it easier for New Zealand citizens living in Australia to become permanent residents.

To apply for the subclass 189,  you must meet the following requirements:

Hong Kong stream-  Hong Kong citizens or British passport holders can also apply for Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) if they meet the following requirements:

 Advantages of a Subclass 189 Visa

The Skilled Independent Work Visa provides the holder and his/her family with all of the benefits of a permanent resident in Australia.

How to apply for a Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Work Visa?

  1. Check the Skilled Occupation Lists to see if your job is listed.

Only those can apply for this visa if their occupation falls under the Skilled Occupation Lists.

  1. Re check if you meet all of the eligibility criteria.

To apply, one must meet the below requirements:

  1.  Take a skills evaluation.

To be eligible for the Subclass 189 visa, one must complete a Skills Assessment and achieve an acceptable score. The score must meet the requirements outlined in the invitation letter (step 5). The DHA website has all the  instructions on how to get a valid Skills Assessment.

  1.  For submitting Expression of Interest use Skillselect.

After that, You will be asked a series of questions about your background, talents, and relevant job history by the SkillSelect programme. Your EOI will be seen by Australian authorities and made available to Australian firms wishing to hire someone with your skill set.

You will be invited to apply for the 189 visa if you receive a nomination or sponsor and your EOI fits the visa’s conditions.

  1. Look for a sponsor or get a nomination from the government.

To apply for the Skilled Independent Work Visa (subclass 189) one must be sponsored by an employer or a family member, or should be nominated by a state or territory government. After finding a good sponsor, the sponsor will  give you a letter inviting you to apply for the visa.

If you don’t have a qualifying relative or employer to sponsor you, the SkillSelect programme may be able to help you find work. This programme connects talented employees with firms who are looking for labour from other countries. This programme may also allow you to be nominated by a state or territory administration.

  1. Have your sponsor fill out all of the required documentation.

You’ll need to have a sponsor nominate you for the visa after you’ve found one. This visa can typically be applied for at the same time as your sponsor’s application.

Submitting of an employer nomination application to the DHA online can be done by the employer.

  1.  Submit an application for a Skilled Independent Work Visa (subclass 189)

You can apply for the 189 visa online through the DHA once you’ve found an employer and received a nomination.

  1.  Awaiting the decision to be made

The DHA may take months to make a decision on your visa request. For example, In 2016, the 189 visa took three months to process.

  1. Get your visa and get to work.

After the application is granted you will acquire visa and will be able to start working in Australia.